Thursday, August 9, 2007

Well Armed

Since I started working in women's accessories, I'm constantly paying attention to the way people accessorize, because sometimes, the adornments are what makes the outfit. My own summer uniform in the sweltering, lazy days of summer usually consists of either a simple slip of a tank dress, or an American Apparel tank and lightweight skinny jeans, but I like to add fun shoes, interesting jewelry, and a good bag. Lately, I've been uncovering a fresh crop of jewelry designers whose pieces delight the senses and spark the imagination. Bing Bang, Belmacz, Thea Grant, Digby & Iona, Erickson Beamon, and Fallon are among the favorites I've covered in the past, but here are a couple of others to add to your watch list.

Subversive Jewelry is a line designed by multi-talented artist and former industrial designer Justin Giunta. Some of the whimsical, beautiful pieces remind me of treasure you'd find in a pirate's chest, abandoned somewhere at the bottom of the ocean. Available through Shopbop's recently launched designer boutique. A couple of standouts:

Mixed chain bracelet, $425.

Silver cluster bracelet, $483.

Emily Yarborough, a former book editor, began making jewelry in her East Village apartment. Within a year of launching her eponymous line, she's managed to garner praise from the fashion ranks, including mentions in Vogue and Nylon. I love her sweater-inspired bangles.
Yarborough Jewelry Ribbed Cashmere Bangle
, $132 @ Shopbop.

Photo credit: www.shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment