Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hunt and Gather

This week is huuuge for sample sales. Daily Candy lets you know the what/where/when.

In San Francisco, sample sales are a tame affair, as people are excited just to have one to go to, but I've found that in New York, they're a competitive sport, with better prizes. After a few bad experiences, I'd started my own one-woman sample sale boycott. The idea of having to wait in an endless line, witness well-coifed and otherwise polished women morph into ferocious beasts over a pair of Citizens, or risk an elbow to the face just to browse the racks of already picked-over merch only to come out battered, bruised, and empty-handed, wasn't really my thing. However, the most recent spate of sample sales is promising great label after great label at up to 80% off, and try as I might, I can't resist the lure of a potential score.

I'm back, bitches. Go ahead and try to knock me over with your obnoxiously large handbag on the way to the communal fitting room. I'm in it to win it. Here's my intinerary, come Thursday:

First stop: Hoping to score a deal before breakfast, I'll be taking a morning walk over to Denise Williamson's sample sale, which happens to be just down the street from me. They'll be handing over Nili Lotan, Thread Social, Ulla Johnson, Cindy Lee, and more at up to 75 percent off. Nov. 15-17. Thurs. & Fri., 8:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m.; Sat., 11 a.m.-6 p.m @ 119 Mercer St., b/t Prince & Spring, suite 2s.

[Break for Carl's class at the Crunch on Lafayette].

After a shower and lunch, it's off to The News, which reps lines like Sea, Cheap Monday, Clu, and Band of Outsiders, and is giving it up at wholesale prices. Lucky for me, this is right in the neighborhood. Wed.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m @ 495 Broadway, b/t Spring & Broome, 5th floor.

Then it's back up to Simon Showroom, in hopes of rekindling an old friendship with my very well-loved Citizens of Humanity Avedon skinnies. I've practically loved holes into the knees, and the new fit and washes they have now just aren't the same. The showroom also has Paul & Joe and Paul & Joe sister. Wed.-Fri., 11 a.m.-7 p.m, 95 Fifth Ave. @ 17th St., 4th floor.

If I have the strength and stomach to bear the garment district (yuck!), I'd swing by Lela Rose @ 224 W. 30th St. (between Seventh & Eighth Avenues, 13th floor). And if Thursday's hunt bears little fruit, I'll recharge and head to the Lower East on Saturday for Foley + Corinna, over at 103 Stanton.

7th on Sale is also this week, and the proceeds go to helping those with HIV/AIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment