Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spring 2010 Fashion Week: The Year Prints Won Me Over

London is halfway through its Fashion Week, and I'm still playing catch up on the New York shows. I know that Spring shows generally tend to be heavy on prints and florals, so I never really understand when they're classified as "trends." As a person whose wardrobe consists only of solids (black, grey, and navy are on heavy rotation, with bright, saturated jewel tones thrown in), I tend to shy away from prints, trend or not, and, save one camisole, I haven't gone near florals since the frilly, puff-shoulder concoctions my mother made me in elementary school. I much prefer my closetful of basic American Apparel separates, which are so much easier to mix and match and take the guesswork out of getting dressed. Prints make me think too hard, and flowers, for the most part, make me vom.

However, the Spring 2010 shows have made a convert out of me. I saw so many lovely varieties of my aforementioned foes floating down the runway that I reconsidered my stance. I'm actually considering  incorporating them, albeit very slowly and cautiously (so as not to upset the solids), into my cloz. 

Here are my favorites.

Floor length floral might be a little too intense for my first foray, but this Cynthia Steffe dress is certainly lovely.




Intriguing patterns at Jason Wu, done up in a sheer blouse and pencil skirt. Styling tip: You should wear a bra, probably.



Some winners from Karen Walker. I want cotton candy with the one on the bottom.



Two marble-ized looks at Richard Chai.



Electric watercolor at Mulberry.



And my favorites, from Peter Som. The genius pattern-play is mind-boggling. I could never have dreamt up these combos on my own.


Photo credit: Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment