Friday, November 20, 2009

Are You My Stocking?

Longtime readers will be familiar with my sob story about not getting to celebrate Christmas as a child, but for the uninitiated, it's basically the reason I became obsessed with the holiday. Once I realized singing carols at the top of my lungs until my voice was hoarse or leaving cookies out for Santa wasn't going get me a Christmas, I gave up hope. Thus defeated, I accepted that my Decembers would continue to be joyless, but vowed to enjoy the holiday in all its be-tinseled, string lighted, and cinammony glory once I grew up and had a family of my own.  Though I'm still light years away from that stage of life, that childhood resolve hasn't wavered in the least. I'm still stirred by the scent of piney Christmas tree, awed by the spectacle of twinkling lights and decoration, and warmed by the thought of families gathering together for feasting and merrymaking. Each holiday season, I see a little piece of this imagined scene in the form of an ornament, a treat, or a season-specific gift, and consider tucking it away for future use. It wouldn't be complete without a stocking of my own hanging from my imaginary mantlepiece, and I've rounded up some possible candidates. Which will be mine?

The cutest little plaid stocking from Dace, $35. They're currently featured on Daily Candy Deals, so you can save 25% off your order when you enter code DACECANDY at checkout.



Sequins and pom poms galore. Dot stocking, $25 @ Barneys.



At 50" by 15", this supersize version is kind of a hoot. I'm not confident enough about whether I've been more naughty than nice, however, so it's probably not the one for me.  Colossal Sweater Stocking, $148 @ Anthropologie.


And now, the winner:

It was love at first sight. I have to have this family of ivory and red felt from Rikrak. Ecostockings, $18 each on Etsy, but for a limited time, if you buy three, you get the fourth free. They're handmade with ecospun felt.


 This one would be mine:

Photo credit:
1) www.dace.ca
2) www.barneys.com
3) www.anthropologie.com
4 & 5) www.rikrakstudio.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment