Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Of Days Gone By

I love old things. I love anything that conjures up nostalgia for bygone eras I wasn't around to see, and makes me dream of the youth of grand grandmères and elderly tías (though not my own, as they were living out their existences in South Asia). That wearing a dress, hearing a record, or looking at a photograph can produce the stirrings of a deep ancestral kinship unknown to me boggles my mind.

As much as I delight in old treasures, however, I don't care much for old smells, so sometimes, rather than rummage through the dusty and musty at secondhand shops in search of a perfect dress, I favor the feeling of something brand new that recalls something old. I can picture myself wearing said dress on a Sunday drive, pushing my pa's vintage Jag. Some successfully executed vintage-inspired pieces for the thoroughly modern girl:

Diane Von Furstenburg metallic mini dress @ Standard Style
, $365.

Lewis Cho Yoke dress @ Standard Style
, on sale, $211.20.
My personal favorite. I swore I would never wear anything that looked remotely like crochet, but this dress has won me over to the granny-friendly dark side. Christopher Deane @ Active Endeavors, $300.


Fun up the outfit with distinctive accessories.
Goldenbleu Luella Patent Leather Tote @ Shopbop, $650. There is a promo running through July 4 that lets you save $100 off purchases of $500 or more. Enter code Fireworks07 at checkout.


Add an elegant arm ornament that oozes heirloom charm.
Kenneth Jay Lane Stretch Bracelet
, $88 @ Shopbop.

Kenneth Jay Lane ribbed bangle @ Active Endeavors, $65.


Funky shoes add offbeat charm. I love the shape of this heel. Cute with tights, too.
Marc Jacobs python platform shoes on "sale" at Bluefly for $716.



Ashley Dearborn Lila Jean snakeskin pump, on sale @ Active Endeavors, $130

No comments:

Post a Comment