Tuesday, October 23, 2007

On-Screen Fashion Musings

This weekend past was one for good movies with great fashion. I caught The Darjeeling Limited and Lars and the Real Girl.

"Darjeeling" was drenched with the saturated, vintage-washed colors typical of Wes Anderson's oeuvre. In fact, the colors are one of the reasons I look forward to seeing his films. If you were to ask me what my favorite color is, I wouldn't be able to give you one. My favorite color is all of the colors in the Royal Tenenbaums. While watching Darjeeling, I fell hard for Adrien Brody, and even harder for the suitcases used in the film, which were a rich, beautiful caramel leather with cartoon drawings of animals on them. They even get a shout out in the film credits (listed as "François Voltaire suitcases by Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton, suitcase wildlife drawings by Eric Anderson”). I'll keep looking for a photo to show you, but you should see the movie anyway.

"Lars" was a beautiful film you really shouldn't miss. Not only was it simultaneously hysterical and touching, but Ryan Gosling's endearingly delusional character wears some of the best hipster-by-way-of-Fargo gear I've ever seen. His fair isle sweaters, puffer vests, flannel shirts, and slicked-back hair exude a charmingly quirky quality that perfectly suits his role as a sweet but awkward loner in a small, wintry town. It also happens to be right on trend, as fashion goes a little bit backwoods and leans towards an aesthetic that's equal parts rugged and sensitive. Think lumberjack plaids on slim button-downs, ski sweaters, corduroys, and boots. The look works for both guys and girls (I've waxed obsessive about plaid shirtdresses and my love for flannel before) and lends itself well to evenings spent fireside with family, rocking in rocking chairs, warm cider sliding through your throat, and curling up with significant others to escape the frosty chill that clings to the windowpanes.

This is the quilt I'll be cozying up with this winter. It's bright and cheerful to keep the cold drearies at bay. An adorable young French couple I recently met bought it for their apartment in Paris. The photo really doesn't do it justice, so see it for yourself in person. Anna Paisley Hothouse quilt, $148-188 @ Anthropologie.

Reverse side.
Photo credit: www.anthropologie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment