Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday Linkage: Tim Burton x Tim Walker, The Cloverdale Antique Mall, London Kitsch, and Phaidon Pops Up in SoHo

In which we take a break to gaze at pretty pictures and read about things that caught my fancy this week.  
 
Hope everyone had a lovely Halloween weekend. Despite the challenges of inter-borough transportation in the pouring rain, the tragic loss of a prop baby, and a broken pair of my aunt's vintage shoes (RIP), it was glorious. I played 60's housewife to my bf's milkman, complete with beehive, false lashes, Audrey-esque shift dress, pearls, apron, and biracial baby dolls to aid in interpretation. If any good pics turn up, I'll post them to my Flickr.

While pulling together the bits and pieces of my costume, I made an improptu stop at Journelle and struck up a convo with the girl helping me (who was dressed as Edward Scissorhands). She got me all excited about the upcoming Tim Burton exhibit at the MoMA, and now I’m counting down the days until I can walk through halls bedecked with his brand of dark, creepy wonder. It doesn’t open until Nov. 22, but in the meantime, whet your appetite at The Thinking Tank with images from the recent Harpers Bazaar editorial, shot by Tim Walker.



*By the by, after my last post about Journelle, purveyor of lovely lingerie, the CEO wrote me a sweet email. A shop that provides not only the prettiest of underthings but has warm, kind people behind it gives me all the reason to love it (and shop it) more.  If you’re local and haven’t been, do stop by and check it out. They even have seating and treats for boyfriends in the decadent dressing rooms. You won’t want to leave, and I dare you to try walking out without at least a lacy thong or two. 

Another reason to start plotting a trip to British Columbia: the Cloverdale Antique Mall. Feast your eyes on pics at To Be, Inspired.



Or, head to London to get your kitsch on at the Museum of Brands, Packaging, and Advertising, where you can view artifacts of consumer culture and get nostalgic for Horlicks, Heinz Ketchup, and Beer In a Can. The Dieline has photos.  I’d love to see their museum shop, which sells replicas of some of the items on display.



The Phaidon Pop-up Shop Opens this week! Stop by Wooster Street between Prince and Spring (whoa, watch out, Taschen) to stock up on the latest coffee table tomes and gifts for friends. Racked has deets.

Photo credit:
1) Tim Walker for Harpers Bazaar - www.harpersbazaar.com
2) www.tobeinspired.com
3) www.thedieline.com
4) www.racked.com

2 comments:

  1. haha I love the sponge pudding and table jelly photos! Thanks for the linkback :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart the sponge pudding, too! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete