Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Winter's Antidote: A Trip to Char No. 4

My friend Pierre and I just had the coziest dinner at Char No. 4, where I discovered the secret to keeping the winter doldrums at bay, in three courses:

1. Though a drink is not considered an appetizer to most, I'll count a fiery bourbon cocktail that warms the insides as Course the First. The Louisville Sunset, a most magical blend of of Old Taylor, pineapple, cranberry, lime, and bitters, proved to be the perfect aperitif to prime the belly for comfort food.

2. Next, I dove into a plateful of crispy sweet potato gnocchi, nearly weeping with joy as I devoured every last ball of fried deliciousness. All was not perfect, however, as the tasty little dumplings were served on a bed of rubbery mushrooms that tasted a bit like rotten seafood. I ignored them and continued, undeterred, towards an epic food coma.

3. Finally, though my belly was nearly bursting, I couldn't leave without sampling the apple cranberry crumble topped with vanilla bean ice cream. We let it melt over the piping hot pie, and I barely let Pierre get a bite in as I stuffed my face with chunks of tart fruit wrapped in sweet crumbly goodness.

I somehow made my way home on the F, all the while eyeing fellow passengers to see if they were staring at me in fear/disgust/curiosity, because I imagined I'd ballooned into a blown-up version of myself, approaching the approximate volume and dimensions of a Stay Puft Marshmallow Woman.  Once home, I was relieved to catch sight of myself in the mirror and see a normal, if slightly tipsy, version of myself staring back. I'm so stuffed I'm about to topple over onto my side at any moment, but first, I must blog. Please enjoy this photo of cranberry apple crumble while I whip up a post.

If you can't make it to Smith Street, get the recipe from Cooking Light.


Photo credit: Becky Luigart-Stayner

No comments:

Post a Comment