Friday, July 27, 2007

Spare Change

I'm one of those people who won't buy anything, no matter how dire the need, unless I can find something I really like. Even when it comes to simple necessities, I have to pick and choose from an assortment. Once the perfect purchase is made, I go around extolling its virtues to anyone who will listen. Such a situation recently occurred at Duane Reade, where I stood before a row of lighters, reflecting on the attributes of each. In the end, I went with a sleek black model with a 3-way adjustable arm to allow for better control (perfect for those candles on my hard-to-reach wall sconces). I've since raved about the lighter to at least two people in the past three days.

Only recently did I get a wallet, searching high and low for one that resembled a vintage cigarette-holder. I lucked out when a friend got me one for my birthday. It's often difficult to fish out the bills, plastic, metro card, and student ID I've crammed into it, but it's so pretty that it makes me happy whenever I use it. My spare change, however, floats around, pooling at the bottom of my handbag. Cashiers roll their eyes as I dig through it, trying to find the necessary pennies, nickles, dimes. And I've probably amassed a small fortune in quarters by now. I think the problem is solved, as I've recently found three adorable change purses.

Nahui Ollin's Itsy Bitsy bag is made from recycled candy wrappers. $32 @ Caravan.
I love dainty, kiss-lock styles. This style from Hayden-Harnett is sweet and pretty. $28 @ Anthropologie.
Bright, punchy colors and a fun texture make this one a small treasure. Calliope coin purse, on sale @ Anthropologie, $24.95.

Photo credit: 1 - www.shopcaravan.com. 2, 3 - www.anthropologie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment