Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Anti Status Watch

Though I appreciate luxury and my tastes sometimes tend towards the expensive, I'm not a fan of visible labels or logos. I love a finely crafted designer handbag as much as the next girl, but shun anything emblazoned with the Louis Vuitton monogram, and with the exception of a Balenciaga classique and a Goyard travel tote, I tend to bypass an "it" bag for its lesser-known, but equally stunning cousin (my current squeeze being Marc Jacobs' vintage-inspired Hudson bag in a limited edition teal). Similarly, I don't care much for status watches, especially not on guys (ranks among my turn-offs, along with bad shoes). I prefer Nixon's Automatic. At first glance, it seems simple and unassuming, but look closer -- the fun is in the details.

The matte black, bling-free finish is nice. $650 @ Active Endeavors.

I like the subtly retro face design.


I love that the underside shows its inner workings.

For more Nixon watches, click here. I have a friend or two who could totally rock this badass gold one (appropriately called "The Player" -- you know who you are), but I prefer the style in black. It's more "stealthy player." I also love it when a girl wears a guy watch. There's something about the contrast of a chunky, masculine watch on a delicate wrist that's so cool.

On a side note, the subject of guy watches brings to mind memories of my youngest bro as a precociously stylish 6th grader who used to come visit me at Georgetown only so he could buy himself fake Tag Heuer watches on M street with the earnings from his illegal mp3 burning empire, which was built on the theory that buying one 'N Sync CD and selling burned copies for half-price to his Justin-obsessed female classmates could be very lucrative.

Photo credit: www.activeendeavors.com

No comments:

Post a Comment