Monday, December 21, 2009

Kitchen Obsession: Morris Kitchen Ginger Syrup

Bf gifted me with a bottle of Morris Kitchen Ginger Syrup as one of my holiday presents, and I am now a complete and total junkie. Though it has many uses, he first had me try it as a homemade ginger ale by mixing it with a glass of seltzer.  I really don't like the taste of ginger in foods, so it was with a bit of trepidation that I took my first sip, hoping I wouldn't betray myself with a wince -- he was so adorably excited about it and I didn't want to disappoint. 

As it turned out, I had nothing to worry about, because it was one of the most refreshing beverages I'd ever tasted in my life. It imparted a cool, clean aftertaste and provided an instant perking up, which I sorely needed. I was exhausted after spending a cold, sleepless night sans heat in the apartment, and after just a few sips of the stuff I suddenly felt awake, alert, and ready for the evening's festivities. I drank it as a tea the next day by mixing it with hot water, and I swear it cleared up my sinuses. I've since been referring to it as "magic syrup" and consider adding to it to just about everything I consume in liquid form. The only thing keeping me from trying is the thought of it running out. When I gushed about it to my grandmother, she asked me to bring it back to DC with me so that she might try it and I actually hesitated. You know something's got you hopelessly hooked when you won't even share it with your sweet old gran.

The potion is made and sold by Brooklyn-based siblings Tyler and Kari Morris, who also happen to be friends of a friend (thanks, Colleen!), and was so popular at the Greenpoint food market that it completely sold out in just a few hours. It's currently sold only through Marlow and Daughters in Williamsburg for $10 a bottle.

A visit to the Morris Kitchen website reveals the syrup's many culinary uses, with recipes for mouth-watering dishes that sound tantalizing even to the ginger-averse: lemon ginger baked chicken, tamari ginger glazed salmon, gingered pear crisp, and ginger shortbread cookies. Kari also mentions that they're working on a boiled apple cider syrup, which, I'm convinced, I will hoard even more selfishly.

I'm a sucker for great packaging, and theirs is lovely.


Photo: www.morriskitchennyc.com

3 comments:

  1. since purchasing the morris kitchen ginger syrup, my migraines have ceased, I am running 5 miles a day AND I kicked that nasty crack habit. this stuff is AMAZING. thanks morris siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, one of those three things is ALMOST true ;)

    such a great gift. thanks for not keeping it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its better then Aunt Mrtha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing
    Merry Xmas
    Ethel and Lucy

    ReplyDelete