Monday, December 21, 2009

My Own Additions to Racked's NYC Shopping Guide

Those of you planning a visit to NYC now have a new and wonderful resource to consult for your shopping needs. Consumer bible Racked recently released a list of 38 Essential New York Shopping Experiences. While the list is chock full of great shops that span several price ranges, they definitely missed a few of my absolute favorites, so I suggest you tack these on to your list. One of the things all of my faves have in common is that there's no hard sell. You can shop at your leisure, but if you require assistance, service is friendly and attentive. Unfortunately, only a few of them have e-commerce so you really should try to stop by the next time you're in town.

CLOTHING
I was actually a tad relieved that they skipped Ludivine, my favorite shop in the city, so that I may keep its treasures to myself.  I will share it with you, dear readers, as long as you promise to fill me in on which goodies you bought. Golden Goose boots, Sissi leather jackets, Vanessa Bruno dresses, and beautiful jewelry await you inside this sublime West Village spot.
172 West 4th Street, between Cornelia and Jones
Mon. - Sat. 11AM - 7:30PM
Sun. 12PM - 6PM


Photo via Refinery29

I love the stuff at TG-170, which boasts a swoonworthy roster of labels, but their price points are just a tad out of reach. It's a great place to hit after I've saved up a bit.
170 Ludlow Street, between Houston and Stanton
12 PM - 8PM daily

If you happen to be in Carroll Gardens, Dear Fieldbinder has great stuff and is, for the most part, quite affordable.
198 Smith Street near Baltic St.
Mon. - Sat. 11:30 AM - 7:30PM
Sun. 12PM - 6PM

SHOES
DUMBO's Zoë is one my favorite spots for shoes. Not only does their buyer know exactly what I want, but she knows what I'll want next season, before I even know I want it. Though it's quite expensive, it's worth saving up for a killer pair of heels once in a while. People seem to like the clothing here, too (they cater to both men and women), but I never make it past the shoe section.
68 Washington Street near Front Street, Brooklyn

Mon. 11AM - 7PM
Tues. - Sat. 11 AM - 8PM
Sun. 11AM - 6PM

I tend to steer clear of Meatpacking, but I could drool over the shoe section at Jeffrey all day long. If you go, ask for Michelle -- she's amazing and will sit with you patiently even as you try and retry several pairs of shoes a hundred times. Get on her mailing list and she'll give you a heads up on new shipments and sales so you can get first dibs.
449 West 14th St., between 9th and 10th Ave.
Mon. - Weds., Fri. 10AM - 8PM
Thurs. 10AM - 9PM
Sat. 10AM - 7PM
Sun. 12:30PM - 6PM

ACCESSORIES
Sucre is such a great place to pick up vintage eyewear and unique, statement jewelry.
357 Bleecker Street, between 10th Street and Charles Street
Mon. - Weds. 11AM - 7PM
Thurs. - Sat. 11AM - 8PM

Fri. 12PM - 7PM

LINGERIE
And as I've gushed before, Journelle is a must for lovely lingerie.
3 East 17th Street near 5th Avenue

Mon. - Fri. 11AM - 8PM
Sat. 11AM - 7PM
Sun. 12PM - 7PM

MENSWEAR
In terms of menswear, I haven't really had any consistent favorites, as they all tend to be hit or miss, depending on the seasons. I'd start with Save, A.P.C., and BBlessing.

Save Khaki (also sometimes known as just Save) has the softest shirts tees I've ever felt. Note that there is no sign on the door. There are three locations, of which the LES store (Broome St.) has the biggest inventory.
327 Lafayette Street, between Bleecker and Houston 

254 Broome Street, between Ludlow and Orchard

112 Greenwich Street, between 12th Street and Jane

Mon. - Sat. 11AM - 7PM
Sun. 12PM - 6PM

The Racked list mentions the A.P.C. Surplus store, but the regular shop in Soho is also great.
A.P.C. has great basics that are modern and stylish without being slavishly trendy or ridiculous.
131 Mercer St. near Spring

Surplus Store - 33/35 Grand Street, Brooklyn

BBlessing
181 Orchard St. between Houston and Stanton.

The newly opened in ID in Williamsburg also looks promising.
232 Bedford @ N. 4th, Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment