Thursday, February 25, 2010

Doo.ri Does it Right with Under.ligne

I've been a fan of Doo-ri Chung since the debut of her semi-eponymous label at New York Fashion Week for Spring/Summer 2005, and I clearly remember the moment I first glimpsed one of her gorgeously crafted pieces in the flesh. I was working at a boutique in San Francisco that year, and my coworkers and I were busy putting the latest fall shipment out on the floor. A collective gasp escaped from us when we discovered among the merchandise a cropped tweed jacket with oversized buttons,  beautifully embellished at the sleeves with crystalline beading.  It retailed for over $1,000 so owning it was but a wistful dream. Fast forward to 2009, when Ms. Chung cured me of that heartbreak by launching under.ligne, a diffusion line that offers the same play on proportions, deft draping, and distinctive design details that first won me over, but at a much friendlier price point. Some items I'm currently crushing on:

A sheer, whisper-thin draped cardi, $325 @ under.ligne. Available in cream or black.



Love the cutout detail on the Harness Tank Top, $165 @ Tobi.

A sculpted, stretch mini that's both cozy and chic. Knit Mini Skirt, on sale for $100 (was $245) @under.ligne.

And just for old time's sake, here's the doo.ri jacket that broke my heart:

Photos: 
1, 2, 4) www.under.ligne.com
3) www.tobi.com
5) www.style.com

3 comments:

  1. Omg was that at Beau? I think I remember it, you showed it to me in the window there. I love the black tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. suspiciously reminiscent of the Narciso Rodriguez S10 runway look available here:

    http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod53210038&parentId=cat20059&masterId=cat30005&index=1&cmCat=cat000000cat000002cat000008cat30005cat20059

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ KT: It was! Seems like ages ago.

    @ Anonymous: Whoa, you're right. I like both!

    ReplyDelete